Happy Monday & more importantly, a heartfelt THANK YOU for the sweet, thoughtful words on our dining room table
. Your support means so much to my husband & I both, I read him every comment & he even read the entire post (not so sure that always happens!). He was humbled, appreciative & perhaps even motivated to start putting some more of his talent to use in our very own Etsy shop?!
I am hoping & trying, stay tuned!
In the meantime, we are in a toy tornado over here! As much as I tried to keep “santa’s” shopaholic ways to a minimum, I never should have underestimated the power of all the special people that Waverly Maye has in her life. Let’s just say girlfriend was spoiled & even though she is the smallest person that lives in our house, she now has more than the rest of us combined.
And she’s definitely not complaining.
Since Christmas, Waverly has been busy getting to get to know all of her new toys & her OCD mama has been in an attempt to organize them. It really is a constant battle for me, trying to keep our house looking like a home rather than a daycare … while at the same time, making it a fun place for Waverly with all of her favorite things. While I definitely am still working all that out, what I have found to be most effective for us is two main play areas, our one carpeted “family” room downstairs & a playroom upstairs. Mainly for my sanity, we use gates to keep her in those two areas the majority of the time & use her nursery as just her “sleep” area most of the time. That will obviously change in the future yet for now, it works & keeps us only having to do a major “pick up of the toddler tornado” in two places each night. I am sure you all can relate to that tornado I’m talking about, it’s amazing how those sweet little angels can wreck shop in the matter of minutes, right?! 😉
Now that Waverly is nearing 18 months & it is officially a new year, I have also decided to start a new strategy in our toy routine. While she definitely has her favorites, I have noticed that she gets bored & overwhelmed with all we have. That she tends to go towards the same toys & that others get lost in all the craziness. So the last couple of weeks, I have done a major clean-out, stored some toys she has definitely outgrown away & divided others up in bins. It’s definitely been worth it, she gets excited when a new set of toys comes out each day. I thought it would be fun to share some of her absolute favorites over the next couple of weeks, ones that are her tried & true, no-fail mama’s got to make dinner so we are bringing these in for back-up toys.
Luckily, we have found quite a few so here is the first round of our faves!
1- BlaBla Dolls
– Waverly Maye is total baby doll LOVER! She adores her babies & honestly doesn’t choose favorites, she plays with them all pretty equally & on a daily basis. They are the first thing she asks for when we walk through the door & then she immediately lines them up while saying baaaa-beee
in the highest-pitch voice. This week, she even took her own headband off to put it on one of the dolls & then fed her a goldfish. I might have died. 😉
2 – Radio Flyer Wagon
– We actually got Waverly this last
Christmas when she was five months old. I am all about gifts that grow with them & this is definitely one of those. Before she could crawl we would push her around in it, she then used it while learning to walk, & now she basically much runs through the house pushing it as fast as possible … with every single one of her babies piled up inside.
3 – TeePee
– Another gift that has stuck around for a while, we got this for Waverly when she turned one. She loves to hide inside it & it doesn’t hurt that it is super adorable. I plan to keep it out until she leaves for college, do you think she will be ok with that?!
4 – Jewelry Box
– Everyone always asks how I get Waverly to keep her head accessories on & it actually is not an issue at all, she loves jewelry & will play with it for hours! She will pile on extra necklaces, bracelets & scarves. I obviously love it, yet the only downfall is that any jewelry I attempt to wear myself doesn’t stand a chance. She takes it immediately! My mom got her this jewelry box for Christmas & it is great to store our special favorites & for her to play with.
5 – Latches Puzzle
– Tell me your toddler is into buckles?!! I don’t know if it’s a kid thing or just a Waverly Maye thing, my little lady is OBSESSED! Hands down, a buckle will keep her more occupied than any other toy we have, she will focus on one from her stroller, car seat, Target cart … & now, this puzzle! She loves it, LOVES it!
I hope that you find this list helpful, there are more to come! Some of my favorite blog posts are ones that talk about toys that work for their little ones, so of course, if you have some that you love, please share with the rest of us!!
*Its so unbelievably backwards, I say that all of the toy madness drives me crazy, then I confess that I research for new ideas & ask you to please direct me in the direction of where I can find more… um, let’s just call it that damn shopaholic gene again.