I love that the girls have birthdays that are close together, I love that they are both summer babes & I have real visions of them having joint best girlfriend parties later in life (dreams really do come true!). But these back to back birthdays can also can all kinds of emotional. I mean, how is it even possible that I have a one and (almost!) four year old? Is is real life that Avalon Elle is a toddler and that Waverly Maye is a year & a half from being in kindergarten? Yep. Somehow it sure as hell is.
Motherhood is such a mind trip. Like so many mamas, I have all the feels over time passing by in what feels like lightning speed. One look at a picture of Avalon in her first days, or even worse, Waverly in hers, can put one giant lump in my throat and almost bring me to my knees. But! New moms, hear me out!! There's good news too. More often than not, seconds after an emotional moment like that, I glance at my two daughters, both who are growing into these beautiful little ladies that I can't even believe are mine - and think about how much better it gets. Sure, baby snuggles & first smiles are everything, but so is your three year old telling you (possibly 100 times in a row) how much she loves you. Or your one year old coming in for open mouth kisses. I've been thinking about this for a while now, especially lately with Waverly, and thought I would round up some other things that just makes babies growing up pretty damn great.
1 - The things they say. I know I mention this all the time, but it seriously is the best. Starting with the first "maaaaaa maaaaas" that Avalon repeats on the daily (she really knows who I am!), to Waverly's never-ending stories & comments all day long that literally make me laugh out loud. Today she said "mom, I suppose I should go to my room and relax for a bit because that's what children do". Where the hell does she get this stuff from? THE BEST.
2 - They learn to wipe their own ass. Need I say more?!!!! We aren't quite there yet, but pretty close and you guys, it's a total game changer.
3 - Another game changer - buckling their own car seat! Waverly loves to do this, and even though it just takes seconds, it makes the biggest difference when out for a day of errands. Like to Target. And back to Target. Also along with this, your kid likes the car seat more as they grow. Both my little ladies hated driving when little but came around to it as they grew. Now it's Waverly's favorite, she loves going on "adventures" all day long!
4 - You don't have to pack the house. At least for the older kid. We are at the point with Waverly that I just bring some snacks & a sippy cup, and she is good. Of course she brings 1267 things in her "purse", including lip gloss & her own three babies, but you take what you can get, right?!
5 - They are easier to rationalize with - MOST of the time. We definitely still have our moments, but the closer we get to four, the more I feel like I can talk Waverly off the ledge. Toddler moms, there is a light at the end of the tunnel, I can see it! :)
6 - They are just so much fun. I really love hanging with Waverly these days, she's my little bestie & I love that we can paint our nails together, talk about her best friends at school, and every once in a while, we go on a date just the two of us and it's my favorite. It makes me think about when the girls (and hopefully another Brickner babe or two!) are older and making all the memories, just like the ones we are now, but different.
7 - Activities. I'm not sure there's anything cuter than watching your kid in a dance recital, gymnastics, or soccer. It's just precious, and might make you feel like the proudest parent on the planet.
8 - You start to see that they have been watching every single thing you do and it's (mostly) adorable. Especially since we had Avalon, I have noticed that 85% of what Waverly says is something I have said (the other 15% is what Ben & Holly or Peppa Pig say). She takes care of her babies and says the exact same things that I say to Avalon. I smile every single time I hear Waverly say to Avalon, "sweetie girl, I just love you so much and am going to take care of you forever".
8 - They tell you they love you. They give you hugs. And then come back for one more. They show up in your bed in the morning with the sweetest cuddles and tell you that they missed you. They are becoming the most wonderful little people and it's the best reassurance in the world that you are doing something right. So very right.
Do you have a favorite part of your babe growing?! Please share, I would love to hear! :)